Which website administration features do you need?
Your website must have good administration features
You need to regularly update your website to keep it fresh and up-to-date for the search engines. Therefore, it follows that your website should be easy to add pages to or to change any content. It is through the admin facilities that you do this. The better systems allow restriction of key functions to particular users. A good web designer who understands your business will be able to set these so that management of the website can be as smooth as your other systems.
The software I use at Computers-in-Kent allows permission to be given or restricted to every element of the website giving 100% access control. In addition, there is a facility to allow content and even parts of pages to be extracted for use elsewhere. This allows for example new content to be highlighted in a ‘News’ section on the front page and be sent to your Twitter account without any effort.
Within the Computers in Kent website the following reports are included as standard.
- Status report - get a status report about your site's operation and any detected problems.
- Recent hits - view pages that have recently been visited.
- Top 'access denied' errors - view 'access denied' errors (403s).
- Top 'page not found' errors - view 'page not found' errors (404s).
- Top referrers - view top referrers.
- Top search phrases - view most popular search phrases.
- Top pages - view pages that have been hit frequently.
- Top visitors - view visitors that hit many pages.
In addition, your google analytics data will show you many things about your website demographics. This can used to see:
- How many pages have been served up.
- How your pages where found.
- Search terms that found your pages.
- Where your visitors are located.
- What devices (PC, Tablets or Smartphones) where used to access your site.
- and much more. See www.google.com/analytics for details.
Turning this knowledge into something useful for your business needs careful analysis to ensure that the time is spent productively. This is how an experienced business analyst who understands web development is a really good find! Ring me! – www.computers-in-kent.co.uk/contact